Monday, June 22, 2015

June 15th (I'm a week late)


It's been a pretty good week. On Monday, we were given a referral
about an investigator that moved here from Nashville. We haven't been
able to get a hold of him yet, but hopefully soon!! Then on Tuesday,
we received another referral from a sister in St. Louis. Her friend
lives near the chapel and is elderly and lonely. She wants people to
visit her and reassure her that she has friends and isn't alone. She
is a widow of a year now. So we stopped by and saw her... And ended up
being there for a hour or so helping and talking to her! We helped
trim some bushes and just visited. It was a really good visit. She
really took to us and wants to see us again! I can't wait. Visiting
with her reminded me of Grandma. Not Pat, but I was thinking of
Grandma while she was talking about losing her husband.
Speaking of Grandma, two Sundays ago our branch had the stake
patriarch visit. During third hour, he talked about patriarchal
blessings. It was a very good meeting. Later in the question part,
someone asked about their ancestors blessings. Did you know we can
request them? I couldn't stop thinking about Grandma. So I requested
it, and it came the other day. There is great power in our patriarchal
blessings. They really are from our Heavenly Father. No one else knows
how to speak to us in a way that touches our heart and soul. While
reading hers, I could see how she applied it to herself. I'll send it
to you.
Wednesday was hot! Well, all week has been hot! :) We spent the day in
a neighboring city meeting new people and trying to find less actives.
It was such a tiny town! 2,000 people! But we were able to talk to
some people. Also we were able to visit with some less actives. People
are still new to me, but most are even new for Sister Brunt. So, good
for us both. Every Wednesday night, our branch has a Book of Mormon
reading class. Both sets of missionaries and members and less actives
come. We read and discuss a chapter. Attendance is pretty low. 4
missionaries and 3 active members. But we keep trying! That's an
important aspect of missionary work... Never give up!
Thursday we were able to teach a lady in our complex. She works at the
office, and packages are left there. Not sure why, but I think the box
keys were stolen. Anyway, we had to pick up a package, and she started
asking us questions. We sat down and talked for a while. But she had
to get back to work, and we had appointments so we set up a time to
meet later. We did. And it was good. She said that she isn't looking
to convert, but she likes to research and understand better. What's
better though is that she said that we rekindled her desire to study
the Bible. Either was, we did our job! :)
Friday was fun! We had a General Authority Mission Tour. It was Elder
Kopischke, a member of the Quorum of the Seventy. It was really good.
The fun part was that the whole mission was together again! So all the
sides got to visit so soon! We also took another mission picture, but
I don't have it yet. I will send it when I get it! Mommas! You would
be so proud of me! I was part of a missionary quartet that sang at the
meeting. It was very scary. None of us knew that it was going to be in
front of the whole mission until Tuesday. But we did good.
On to the Mission Tour... The first part was teaching. It was about
the importance of having the Spirit with us when we teach. Otherwise
we are just talking. It can be truth and doctrine, but it won't be
with the full power of Godliness as if we had His Spirit. We receive
powers of godliness as we make and keep essential ordinances. Baptism:
remission of sins. Confirmation: sanctification, protection, comfort.
Priesthood ordination: authority to act in God's name. Endowment:
knowledge of God and know to be like Him. Sealing: eternal families!
That last one is our goal! We don't just baptize and leave them at
that. We know the power from progression and the blessings from making
and keeping our covenants! The second part was questions. It was an
amazing meeting! There was a lot of power in the chapel. Almost 200
missionaries and a General Authority... I can't wait until the next
time a General Authority comes. It's a unique experience and chance to
be uplifted.
Saturday was also good. I had some ideas come to me, after the
meeting, to help the branch. I started to put them into action. The
first was a way to focus more while we spiritually harvest (tract). I
remembered it from an exchange I had gone on before. It was to pray
specifically to find a person to fulfill a calling that is in need in
the unit. For example, our Branch President's first answer was a young
men's leader. (Honestly, we need pretty much all the callings. Most
people are serving in every auxiliary at the same time.) I think I
found him. Of course, he has his agency on whether to listen, but as
long as we do our part it is out our hands. The other idea was a way
to have the sisters be more involved in missionary work. I still don't
know all of them. (There is usually only 4 sisters in Relief Society.)
I shared it with the RS President. She seems to like it. I hope the
sisters are willing. Members are so important to have in lessons.
We have another investigator. Her name is Jalynn. She is the
granddaughter of a recent convert couple. She is 8 years old and very
excited to get baptized. We've taught the Restoration to her. She
actually wants to learn, so that's very exciting. She has questions
and concerns. At 8 she questions Joseph seeing the Father and the Son.
I bore my testimony to her and told her to pray. I think she will. She
has become my favorite person to teach! We see them frequently because
we are teaching her and visiting with her grandparents. She actually
drew me a picture AND spelled my name right! Without looking at my tag,
I should add! :) It's the little things!
Sunday was good as well. It really is so amazing that we have the
opportunity every week to renew our covenants with the Lord. And as a
missionary, that hour of sacrament meeting is precious. That time is
specifically for Sister Pochop. I don't need to think about where my
investigators are in the building. It is my time to ponder and
reflect.

The work is true! I love you all!

Sister Paige Pochop

Scripture of the Week: 1 Nephi 3:7

No comments:

Post a Comment